Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Even though we have lived in Japan for many years, we are still always learning how to live life here. I guess that is what it means to learn to be at home in a new culture and country. Always learning and growing; with an attitude of grace and patience, with yourself and others. And trying to cultivate a very-needed humble, receptive heart. These are all areas God continues to grow in me, little by little, along this lengthy, winding road of adjusting to cross-cultural living. 

I just recently figured out something that had confused me many times at the post office. When I sent a card to the States, sometimes it was a certain price and sometimes another price.  I couldn't figure it out! They were the same size and weight...did it depend on which post office I went to or who helped me at the service counter?  Hmmm....that didn't make sense.  Japan has lots of procedures and rules and strictly adheres to them. 

I recently figured it out! Thanks to several questions to my helpful, polite postal worker nodding at me from across the counter. It was very simple. I just needed to write in English (surprisingly) the words "Greeting Card"  on the envelope which would guarantee the regular air mail price even though it was a little bigger than the standard letter size. 

Big sigh. Just another reminder to give myself grace and to be patient as I continue to figure out life here. Even in the little things like trips to the post office.