Friday, June 22, 2018
healthy American comfort food to the rescue
Since we have been living out of boxes and suitcases for the last month it felt like home to mix up a batch Bran Muffins. The other day we were given a bag of whole bran cereal so I thought I would see if it worked. Somehow the wheat germ I wanted to bring from the U.S. didn't make it in our suitcase (I think it got squeezed out by the peanut M&Ms).
Even though there is quite the variety of breads here in Japan, many of them are made with white flour. Since our bodies got used to all kids of healthy wheat bread in the States this last year, I was craving something more substantial. I felt like a normal person again pittering around this mini-kitchen, trying my hand at a nutritious recipe.
Since we are still living at the Guest House I've had to ad lib a bit without my measuring spoons and such. Tim bought me a small muffin tin at the 100Yen Store for a few dollars and I've been trying to make peace with the oven in the shared downstairs kitchen. Well....it cooked at least cooked half of the muffins. Now to sit down with a cup of tea and enjoy.
