Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Birthday Blues?


It was Tim's birthday this week.  Unlike my birthday a couple of months ago in America where I was surrounded by family, friends, flowers, gifts, cake, presents and going-out-to-eat-at-favorite-restaurants....Birthdays far away from home are a little different.  

Here it is often hard to know how to celebrate and make the birthday boy feel special.  The gift you would like to buy is usually too awkward or too heavy to bring or send from America.  The restaurant you would like to go to is non-existent. And there is no family to stop by and in-country friends are usually too far away and too busy to come for a party.   

A card or phone call from America is life-giving.  A missionary or Japanese friend who stops by and  remembers is treasured.  And a homemade cake, some candles and your kids and wife singing Happy Birthday (along with "Birthday Blessing Prayers" around the table) brings the needed joys and smiles needed to usher in the coming year.  
I made this homemade card from a yellowing, falling-apart comic book.  It takes more time than a 5 minute trip to Wal-Mart (which I would if I could!!!) but maybe it means a little more too.  Since there are no big presents to unwrap, money gifts for an I'd-love-to-buy-next-time-when-I'm-in-America shopping spree will do quite nicely.
When we were planning our birthday meal Tim commented how he really misses American gas  barbecues.  Fire it up anytime with a touch of a button for an easy to cook meaty meal.  Here it's just not as enjoyable and definitely a lot more work.  Even though our mini-back porch (you can see the neighbour's house about 2 feet behind him) is more than most houses have, it's just not the same as a roomy, grass surrounded patio.  Our retro style cast iron barbie takes it's time with charcoal...and lots of fanning. But you do stay busy swatting mosquitoes as you sit waiting for it to heat up and cook on a hot and way-to-muggy summer's evening.