First we must say that we love the service that we get throughout Japan. And we love the service that we get at Mac stores, worldwide!! This day though was a little different as we experienced another insight into the every present "Saving Face" aspect of Japanese society. Even if you are wrong, you don't admit it.
The other day we took my computer into the Mac store. I needed to get an official estimate printed on paper of what it would cost to fix the cracked screen on my notebook. I had actually done this a month ago, so I knew the already price.
Now granted, I think the guy helping us was a new employee. He had another guy literally over him, checking up on what he did. And to be honest some Japanese get extra nervous dealing with us as foreigners. We sometimes have to ask them to repeat themselves and today was no different as I tried to decipher his fancy computer lingo.
The Mac guy gave me an estimate of what it would cost to fix my computer screen, yet it was much higher than the previous estimate. I thought it odd that the prices had skyrocketed overnight. The already flustered guy couldn't understand why I wanted an official estimate but not get my computer fixed. In the midst of much fumbling around on his part we finally got our piece of paper.
We also needed to leave my computer with him to check on a software issue. As I filled out the paper work, I heard the 2 employers mumbling to each other in Japanese as they leaned over their Mac Book Airs. Unbeknownst to them, I understood what they said. I heard the head employer tell the new guy that he had mistakingly quoted me too high a price and it really was the originally price quoted to me the month before.
I was curious what they would do. I thought if we were in America they would say,"Hey great news. We made a mistake and it will cost you a lot less to get it fixed it after all. Let me print you up another official estimate. Looks like this is your luck day, huh?" But, not in Japan. Instead the new employer tells me, "Even though the price we quoted you is right, if you get it fixed here at this store, we can do it for you even cheaper." Then he quotes the original price I was quoted a month ago. Yet he doesn't reprint my official estimate or admit any mistake on his part.
Hmmm...Again, I just have to say, "Gotta Love Japan."
Note added several days later...When I went to pick up my computer they handed me a revised estimate. There was even a really nice Indian guy to speak English to me. Thanks Apple!
