Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Moving is a headache...

literally.

This past week I was knocked out for several days with a debilitating headache. I call it my "moving headache" that comes on right before a move. I think I am handling all the upheaval and extra business of packing and preparing (on top of our regular ministry and family life) fine until my body reminds me - and, not so gently - that I am more "stressed-out" than I realize.

It's then that I am reminded of some wonderful "coping hints" or strategies for managing stress that my dad, Lee Hotchkiss has taught to Christians, pastors and missionaries all over the world. His book, Handling Stress Effectively has been transalted into many languages.

Just the other night as I was feeling overwhelmfed by all that needed to be done, dad's 5 steps to help manage stress popped into my head. I wanted to share them with you. I have paraphrased them as we have also tried to help our kids understand and remember them with some simple hand motions.

1. God is in control. Roll it (the stressful situation) over to God.
"Lord, I trust you are in control. I give this over to you."

hand motion: Pointer finger to God, then bowling ball toss

2. Do what's right. Chosing to be obedient and respond rightly in this situation.
"I am going to keep doing what is right, needed, helpful, God honoring..."

hand motion: 2 fingers (in upside down V possition) walking

3. Tell your honest feelings to God. (My boys say "Shoot your honest feelings to God".)
I call it "spiritual venting" - just like David in the Psalms.
"Lord, I don't like this. It hurts...it's hard...this overwhelms me..."

hand motion: 2 fingers and 1 thumb held up (to make 3) in pointed gun (yes, you can tell we have boys!)

4. Tell yourself the truth - challenge Satan's lies with the truth about myself, God and others as I claim and think on God's Word and His promises, and only what is true (not what is made up, assumed or feared).
"I know I will be ok and this will be ok, because God loves me and He promises me His help..."

hand motion: 4 fingers up then tapping them along the top of my head

5. "I am ok, because of God's grace." I am saved by grace and live each day by and because of His abundant and enabling grace. (I don't have to feel bad about me.)

hand motion: ok finger sign and then a "G" sign over my heart