Saturday, July 4, 2026

Happy 4th!!


I remember my American friend saying how she was homesick at Easter. You would't think of that being a holiday where you were lonely and longed for home. But she missed the big ham dinner with family and joyful celebrations at church. For some reason, that same sadness hit me today, the 4th of July.  

It's not that we usually do anything that special, although we've had picnics with American friends or gone out for burgers many years.  Of course when our kids were around, we did it up as big as possible, even with cinnamon rolls,  homemade gram crackers and their friends over for a BBQ under colorful banners. (Here & Here) I think somehow I thought all the hoopla would help them feel more American. 


But this year, the holiday caught us by surprise. We hadn't gotten around to planning anything and were feeling too tired to make a fuss. But then the sadness settled in and it started to drip out of the corners of my eyes. I really missed our kids and the fun festivities at home!!!

So what did I do? I scrounged around for my red table cloth and a handful of mini flags and paper napkins brought from home. We donned our red white and blue and went out for donuts. I bought some overpriced blueberries and made some star-shaped sugar cookies. 




None of these things brought my missed kids any closer and it didn't compare with the sparkling spread of our friend's backyard gathering in our hometown last year. But it helped cheer me a little as my heart remembered all that I am blessed with. When friends and family are far away and my heart aches, I can still choose thankfulness and count the incredible blessing of my boys and their families.  Yummy food, a thoughtful husband, a relaxing home; the list could go on and on. As I choose this sacrifice of thanks, the soothing balm of contentment somehow brings needed comfort once again. And that is definitely a reason to celebrate.