It may surprise you I like cherry blossoms almost as much in the rain as in the sunshine. True, you can't beat the bright blue sky backdrop for the delicate dusting of pink canopies. But then you have so many others who want to view them along with you.
In the rain, the crowds have dispersed and it is just me and these beauties which surround me over head and under foot. It is in those quiet moments walking along that I am refreshed and recharged; solitude, silence and nature.
It has taken me awhile to figure this out. As a borderline, sociable and love-to-connect-with-others introvert, I've finally realized I need this "still time" when I'm feeling extra tired and busy. I am sure missionaries coming out now have a better understanding of themselves and what they need to put in place for "self care" or to build resiliency into their lives. Thinking back over our first years in Japan, I was not wise enough to know what I needed or wise enough to incorporate that it into my days. And I, and my family at times, paid heavily for it.
So here I am years later....wet, alone and happy. And soaking in the few weeks of pink parades any chance I get. I am thankful for simple ways to be revived. And thankful for God's grace and help that gives insight and steps of growth to help me keep going.




