Wednesday, February 16, 2022

I am so glad God placed us in country where there are seasons. I love the change. The anticipation of something fresh and new. Somehow it breaks up the monotony of daily life and revamps our routine. 

Each season has its joys and challenges. In the hot, sweaty summer I look forward to the cool refreshing hope of fall. In the shivery winter mornings I look forward to the blossoms and brightness of the coming spring. I am striving to enjoy what the current season offers, but I also find myself looking forward to the new season around the corner. 

Isn't it that way with our life too? God gives us seasons to weather through, filled with blessings but also with trials. 

Not too long ago we were in a season of not-much-to-do and I was looking for projects to keep me busy; often fighting off feeling lethargic and needing motivation for my work. Now we are in a new season where there is too much on our plate and too many things in the calendar. We are accomplishing a lot, but overextended and exhausted. I have to stop and remember this is just a busy season. 

When we returned almost 4 years ago for this term we started a prolonged season of life and ministry in Japan without our kids. This season wasn't looked forward to and it came upon me like an unexpected thunderstorm and at times, with torrents of grief pelting down. In this season God gave us newborn grand-babies never to be held and family members missing at wedding celebrations. Through this often turbulent season I have had to anchor hard into Jesus, finding His unchanging presence, promises and peace to be all I need. 

No description available.

But this season has had blessings too. Cherished times of tiny hands waving and blown kisses by smiling grandkids through a screen. The wonderful joy of a lovely rehearsal dinner, hearing wedding vows promised and of hugging a new daughter. And the ultimate blessing of seeing our boys faithfully follow Jesus, even in hard times and in hard places. 

May be an image of 1 person, standing and outdoors

Through all of these seasons, we lean into the lessons and hope to grow. We try to choose thanks and refocus on the blessings. But most of all, we rest securely in our unchanging God, who is by our side. We  know He will continue to uphold us as we trust Him in whatever season is to come.