Friday, December 24, 2021

On this Christmas Eve morning I am far from home, but given a warm, comfortable place to stay. I am missing our kids, but my heart is filled with recent moments of connecting and celebrating together. I don't have a tree or favorite decorations to adorn my holiday, but I have God's presence and His help to cheer the grey and dreariness that threaten to close in around me. 

I read these verses in my Bible reading this morning.  Jeremiah 14:7-9 "....O LORD, act for Your name's sake...We have sinned against You, O Hope of Israel, it's Savior in times of distress. Why are You like a stranger in the land. Or like a traveler who has pitched his tent for the night? Why are You like a man dismayed....yet You are in our midst, O LORD, And we are called by Your name..."

We find ourselves in limbo. Trying to move forward with plans to return to Japan, but finding each new bit of information a hurdle, requiring more decisions and more guesses of what steps to try next. Through all the uncertainty and concern, we find ourselves in desperate need of God coming along side of us; going before us. 

This Christmas, I am reminded that no matter where I am and no matter what challenges I face, I can rejoice in Jesus. He is Emmanuel, God with me. He is present. Protecting. Providing. He is paving the way forward. I will trust in Him, for He is my Savior, my Hope along this journey.