We have fallen for that one, time and time again. And it is easy to see why. We live far away from our family and home church friends. We often feel like they don't really understand us or the struggles we face living overseas. We wrestle with how to connect in our host country, with language and culture a constant barrier. We look for friendship among co-workers or other expats, but those that we easily connect with are sometimes few and far between. Even God may feel far away at times when we are spiritually dry and serving in dessert-like conditions. Yes, we as missionaries often believe the lie that we are alone.
I think another lie that missionaries believe is that we aren't having an impact; that we aren't making a difference, that our work is unimportant. We may feel like our ministry is small and insignificant compared to the overwhelming needs around us. We long to be used by God and see God do big things, but often feel disappointed at the lack of fruit, the seemingly slowness of change around us. We get bogged down by daily life and ministry that seems meaningless and accomplishes very little.It is at those times that I remember God has not called me to do, but to be. Not to accomplish things, but to be faithful. I can combat Satan's lies with the promises that God is working in and through me. He will build His Kingdom and strengthen His church. And He has called me, at this time and this way to serve Him. He will purpose through me what He wants to accomplish. I need to faithfully hang in there and trust Him to work through me.
So instead of believing the lie that "what I am doing doesn't really matter", I will believe the truth that God is accomplishing His big purposes through my little, but impactful faithfulness.

