Thursday, December 29, 2016


Over the years we have collected a stack of children's books that we read at Christmas each year.  When the kids were little and we'd get out our box of Christmas decorations and they would go right for the books. I would soon find them curled up in corner lost in these quaint holiday short stories. Since we are almost empty nesters and since things mold easily in Tokyo, I will take these books back to the States and store them in our attic. 

This year with 2 oversized teenage boys crowded in our little living room we pulled out a story. They have become the readers now and I just sit and listen with smiles warming my lips and memories warming my heart. We know them almost by heart. I feel transported back to cold winter evenings by our kerosine heater, all piled cozily on the couch. Even thought these books are just tattered paper that could be easily replaced on E-bay, they represent priceless times shared together with my family that will always be tucked away in my memory bank for years to come. 


Here is a list of some of our not-so-well-known favorites:
The Christmas Secret (Jose's Christmas Secret) By Joan Lexau
The Little Brown Bear By Enid Blyton 
The Jolly Christmas Postman By Janet and Allan Ahlberg
Papa Panov's Special Day Adapted from the original by Leo Tolstoy Retold by Mig Holder