Sunday, September 25, 2016

The Front Doors Open


I thought I would share a glimpse into our home. This is the view from our sofa. The genkan (front  door entrance way) is the door on the right. The big sliding doors on the left go into a tatami (woven mat floored) room. This big (for Japanese standards) living and dining room is 11 ft by 16 ft with a galley kitchen at the end. 

 
I got these old wood boxes free at Thrift Shop. They had Japanese vases and dishes in them. (And I have no clue what is written on them!) But thought they looked cool and wanted to incorporate them in our "decor".  I know our house looks pretty "western" with it's oversized furniture which we are always on the look out for.  This grey chair we got free from the mission office and I recovered it.  We've realized years ago we need comfortable places to crash that fit our long legs and support our tall backs.  So I am happy to use Japanese-y looking stuff as much as I can to fit our home into it's Asian background. 


These boxes made great hideaways for clutter, holding favorite games and DVDs that are still easy to get to, but nestled neatly out of sight.