Make that 21 years!!!
To become fluent in Japanese? Understand how Asians think? Comprehend Japanese culture?
No. It will take another 20+ years for any of those things.
It has taken me 21 years to like "Osembe". The crunchy rice cracker that all ages of this land love. Always a little salty, sometimes a little sweet. These crackers are a great pick-me-up and tide-me-over light, crackly snack. Even though the kids have loved them since they were old enough to hold one, I have never been too fond. I would nibble on it politely when given it by friends, but would always wish for an American Wheat Thin or Triscuit.
But it has finally happened. The other day I had a craving for an Osembe and I loved every bite. Who knew it would only take 20 years? Now, if I can only like "Natoe" (fermented bean paste) over Peanut Butter....