I have realised missionary life is a lot about self-care. Taking good care of yourself so that you can do the demanding, draining job on the field. It has to do with having what you need to be able to give to others. Also, compared to back at home where you might be able to be more dependent on others to "take care of you", as a missionary on the field you need to do it or it just might not happen. It sounds a bit harsh, but it's the reality we've faced.
I waffle between my extrovert and introvert side. Sometimes I need people around me but more recently I need quit time by myself. In the midst of a big family and a people-oriented ministry I soak up those quite, alone moments whenever I can. I am still learning to not feel guilty about what I need and also to make it a priority and be purposeful about doing all I can to be what God wants so I can do what He has called me to.
So I am thankful for another blessing this summer. Time with sweet friends who care about us and love on us. People God uses to replenish us for the road ahead.