When Joel boarded for 3 years in middle school I would come into his room the night before he left and just sob. The dread of the parting, almost too much to bear. But then, I'd have a good cry, pray my heart out and move on, trying to face with a rather weak smile and semi-cheery disposition the coming trip to the airport or train station. Then with a positive, expectant heart begin looking forward to our next reunion.
My kids think it is a little morbid and maybe it is, but I sing this song when our family has to say goodbye to one another. It reminds me of my future home in heaven where there are no goodbyes. It sets my perspective straight. Rather than feeling sorry for myself or letting bitterness seep in, I focus on Jesus who makes me brave. Brave for the goodbyes. Brave for the separations. Brave for life's trials that really, in comparison with an eternity of erased sorrows, looks better and better with each passing day.
It will be worth it all
When we see Jesus
Life's trials will seem so small
When we see Christ
One glimpse of His dear face
All sorrows will erase
So bravely run the race
Till we see Christ