Tuesday, September 23, 2014

September....

It's fall.
Here in Tokyo.

That means no cheering at chilly high school football games Friday nights.  And no sound of a TV football game on a lazy Sunday afternoon.  No hayrides and pumpkins.  No blast of orange decorations in shops.  My eyes wonder longingly to Pinterest pictures of my ideal autumn days. Full of Americana, wood smoke and hints of leaves in metamorphosis.

But I am here.
And this is the early-autumn that I have to be thankful for.

September in Tokyo means....
No air-conditioning and open windows breezing me to sleep.

 Less deafening cicadas and more gently peeping crickets.  
Clear days and sunshine, still in shorts but comfortably so...not heat-stoke-exhaustingly so.

September means flowers in bloom,
seemingly glad with me that we have survived another tropical summer.  


 It means I can sit again in my sun room in the evening with twinkling lights and restful rocking. 


September means finally a hot, not iced, cup of tea.

 It means we can turn on our oven and bake.
It means a treasure-find of rhubarb. 

It means cheering Tim's volleyball team on. 

So, Tokyo blessings, I will think on you and enjoy your pleasant days. Gifts God gives, not always my first choice, but definitely His.  So I accept His September Tokyo blessings with joy and thankfulness.