These not-so-perfect flowers left over were sadly dug up and tossed just a day later. Our missionary friend said they do the same thing with the carrots in the field next to their house. The funny, mis-shaped ones are left in the field to rot while the straight, flawless ones are sent to the store. I think part of the reason is to keep the price high for those ideal flowers, apples and carrots. I don't know about you, but I'd sure rather have less than perfect and pay less.
Wednesday, November 17, 2010
Picture perfect
Presentation is important in Japan. Cakes slices at the bakery are decorated beautifully, although we have found that they look better than they taste. People riding the train are dressed sharply. Any time to give someone something it is neatly wrapped. Even an effort is made on a box of Akita apples we ordered from our farmer friend. Although these tasted even better than they looked, and they looked beautiful, packed carefully and labeled by hand.
Another reminder that "It's all about presentation" is the fields of flowers near our house. We live right on the edge of Tokyo city (our Japanese friends even call it the "country") so we get to enjoy a little more dirt and space. I loved riding my bike past these beautiful flowers on the way to the grocery store. By the time I got to this field of potted mum plants with my camera, most of them had already been sent to flower shops to sell.