Thursday, November 18, 2010

choose thanks


Recently I was challenged from the blog of The Stay-at-Home Missionary Mom. Her challenge was for one week to:

Choose contentment. Do not allow yourself to complain about anything, not even the weather. Ask the Lord for strength to take captive thoughts of comparison or grumbling.

Not even weather? Not even health? I was convicted right away as I have complained a number of times just today about a lingering cough (and even more in my heart and mind). This past month has found me with debilitating ailments like: nursing broken-bruised ribs, allergies, a pinched nerve in my back and then a sore throat, cold and cough. Lord, forgive my discontented heart; full of grumbles about how bad I feel.

Instead, I will replace those complaining thoughts with thanks. I read in various blogs about a creative way to practically fill my heart and mind with thanks. One Thousand Gifts challenged me to write down (either on a blog or in a private journal) 1000 blessings-gifts-thanks in a set amount of time. Compile a list of the many little and big specific gifts that God gives you each day...until you reach 1000!

What a tangible way to set my mind on giving thanks...because I can't be complaining and thanking at the same time. Won't you join me on this challenge? And just in time for Thanksgiving too. I've already got out a blank journal and I will share my first entry that I wrote tonight (I think I will try to write 10 a day for 100 days!).
#1 the glow and warmth of my treasured Wal-mart candle bought by my sweet friend and lugged back in a suitcase by sweet husband