So, one of my goals this summer was to study daily with the boys. Again, it hasn't happened daily...but at least it has happened. (I have already warned them that these little language sessions will definetly continue through the school year; it's become a one of those "big rocks"!)
It feels weird putting my "home schooling mom" hat back on. (see HERE) To be honest, the kids aren't too excited about studying Japanese and it's hard for them to have a good attitude and be motivated. Again, I am praying for patience and extra grace through this.
I finally found a little chalkboard to write daily "kanji" (Chinese characters) on and put it up in our kitchen so we could always be in "learning mode". Hey, it's been great for my language study too! In Japan I had a little chalkboard that I daily wrote English vocabulary words (including parts of speech - so we could study grammar too). It's funny but true that whatever country we are not in, we are working on that language.
The kids are doing well and thankfully haven't forgotten too much of their Japanese since they are older. We really value them knowing and keeping their Japanese language, especially since they worked so hard to learn it through many (and sometimes difficult) years at Japanese elementary school. (see HERE)