Thursday, June 25, 2026

Soothing Sounds of Yesteryear

The quiet tinkling chime caught my attention as I walked through the garden center of our local do-it-yourself store. Softly blowing in the breeze, this little glass ball jingled gently. And I was transported back about 30 years to when we first arrived in Japan. 

We were looking for Christmas presents to send home to our family. Something small and light to mail. Something useful and ornamental. And something that seemed...well, Japanese! I am sure my family doesn't remember getting these little wind chimes, I think they were metal, better for shipping. And we packed them up and sent them at the end of the summer to try and make it to America for Christmas. Sea mail that went literally by sea. And the postage cost more than the gift! I am sure it seemed small and inconsequential... and they probably wondered,"What do we do with this?" as most gifts from overseas can feel. 

But it was sent with love. In hopes of trying to share our Japan world with them. In hopes of trying to connect across the miles to let them know, selflessly, "We love you."...and not so selflessly, "Don't forget about us. We are here." 

Isn't it funny how a simple sound can take you back and bring up thoughts and feelings you'd thought forgotten. 

Well, chime on, Little Bell. Ring away. Transport me back to thoughtful gifts and homesick hearts. Back to days when we worked so hard to embrace Japan and endure long distances. Your little music is a sweet and sad ballad to life and hearts living far away from home.