I think I need this reminder every time we move. That is why is it taped to the inside of my phone case.
First it is the reminder that our good and faithful God goes before us. He is our refuge and strength, an ever present help in trouble. As a family we memorized this verse in Psalm 46 years ago and I still need it today. At the end of our home assignment we have to start thinking about our upcoming move back to the field. That means figuring out what we will take and how we will take it. Lists of shoes, spices and medication need to be bought and fitted in the suitcase. We have to plan how we will move out of our present living situation, in this case our house in California. What day do we need people to help? What used furniture is worth storing? Where will we stay the last few days before we get on the plane? What last minute cleaning, gardening or repairs should we tackle before renters move in? You get the idea. This all begins to me weigh down on me about 2 months before we leave.
It is the moving storm that is brewing and I can see the distant dark and dreary clouds on the horizon. They aren't here yet, but when they come we will need more that our folding, travel umbrella to keep from getting drenched. I need a safe and strong protection, my Almighty Fortress who goes before me. He is the safe refuge that is clearing the impossible path before me.
The second reminder on my phone is that "Adventure Awaits You". This little slip of paper is from a fortune cookie at Panda Express. Don't get me wrong, I don't think God speaks through a plastic wrapped, crumbly cookie. But the day I opened it we were about to say goodbye to our oldest son going off to college. I was reminded (and I do think by God's Spirit) that the life He has called us is indeed an adventure. And I need to positively look it as that, rather than the dreaded, dangerous journey it often seems to be.
We were leaving our oldest at college. Other parents were sniffling and complaining about being a few hours car drive and we were a 10 hour plane flight. I still remember the tears that streamed down uncontrollably as we pulled out of the parking lot. How could we leave our kid in a different country? He was just standing there waving as if the cosmic distance to come was a normal part of moving forward.
It sure didn't feel like an adventure. It felt like a roller coaster ride that leaves my tummy queasy and my head spinning. But was I willing to choose the perspective God wanted? Instead of an unknown stressful burden, I needed to see this as an exciting episode with a gripping climax. How will we see God get us through this? What ways will He show up? This attitude choice lifts my spirits and creates a space for trust and joy rather than for gloomy self-pity. God is the best and ultimate trail guide. I know that without a doubt. This adventure isn't haphazard or unsafe. It is well planned and directed carefully by the One who knows what the path will look like around the bend. So as I positively look to this next adventure, as God has done countless times before, I know that my Almighty Fortress will go before me and will lead and help me along the way.