Saturday, August 9, 2025

Transition

One of my favorite things is to have a window seat on the plane. As I look out the frosty glass, I am transported into the magical elevated world outside. As we bump along, I sail through layers of cushiony cotton clouds and get lost in the brilliant blue expanse and wide, deep horizon. 

On today’s early morning flight, I get a peek at the sunrise in the eastern horizon, framed over the wing of the plane. It’s incredibly beautiful and I am in awe of our amazing creator God. He spoke all this into place. He is bigger and greater than the amazing world He has made. He is bigger and more powerful than the churning feelings inside me and the unsettled queasiness of another overseas move. 

Even after so many international transplants, the tiredness and roller coaster emotions still take me by surprise. I obviously have not listened to what I’ve taught others countless times: “Transition is hard. We all face it. Give yourself time and grace...this too will pass.” I foolishly think; “I’ve done this before. No worries, I’ve got this.” I somehow think it won’t be bad this time; and all the planning and past experience will have made the difficulties of transition obsolete. But of course, it hasn’t and somehow I need to be reminded that it’s more than jet lag and age that I have to battle through. It is the dreaded and unwanted traveling partner of transition that I forget is my companion, following me through the terminal, onto the plane and into arrivals. It drags me down like an overweighted suitcase that I stumble over. It knocks me in the back of the leg as I try to navigate it through the crowded isle of elbows, leaving an aching, ugly bruise. 

But that is ok because the God who holds the clouds and sun in place, holds me. Not only does He hold me when I am settled and thriving, but He also holds me when I am changing worlds and overwhelmed and exhausted. He is not taken aback at my weakness. Or surprised by my fraility. His purposes and goodness are not sidetracked by these short but overwhelming seasons of groggy eyes and confused brain. His goodness enwraps me. And just as he holds the great expanse of the scenery out the window, He holds me.  He helps me land safely and He gives grace for the next leg of the journey. 

Every home assignment I try to read a book on transitions. This time I picked up "The Global Nomad's Guide to University Transition" that I found in a box while unpacking. I especially appreciated the first half of the book that reminded me of the normal up-and-down-feelings that go with transition in this chart from the book. Here is another well-known chart showing the stages and pitfalls of navigating transition.

 If you have a missionary friend, why not read about some of the challenges they face so you can better understand and support them. There is a multitude of great resources available and here are a few with my favorite one on top of the list.

* The ReEntry Team- Caring for Your Returning Missionaries  By Neal Pirolo

Third Culture Kids: Growing Up Among Worlds By Ruth van Reken, David Pollock & Michael Pollock

Re-Entry - Making the Transition From Missions to Life at Home By Peter Jordan

Receiving Them Well- A guide on how to support your loved one returning from humanitarian aid or missionary work By Lisa Innis & Lori Bryan

Don't Pig Out on Junk Food: The MK's Guide to Survival in the U.S. By Alma Daugherty Gordon