Friday, September 27, 2024

2 worlds. 1 home.

A comment, I heard when we first came to Japan, was deeply imbedded in my memory. This comment was made by another American missionary; something about how another American colleague decorated their house "too American" and that when you walked in you felt like you were in America, instead of Japan. I could understand that warning. My natural bent was to sculpture a little America in the midst of Asia. 
 
I have remembered this comment often and it has haunted me each time I've looked over the cozy respite I was creating in each new apartment or house we rented. Am I making a Japanese home here or just trying to transplant by comfortable homeland into the narrow walls surrounding me because it feels safe and familiar. This lingering warning has guided me to be careful. Careful to embrace where I am living and to welcome in the land I abide.

Over the years I have sought to be purposeful to try to garnish the rooms I dwell in with pretty things like: a Narumi china tea cup and a calligraphy art Bible verse scripted by a pastor we worked with years ago. And a cast iron mini kettle found at a second hand shop.  



No doubt, when I welcome you through my front door, you will walk into a home that is not typically Japanese, but it isn't very American either. It will be a hodge-podge of our worlds. I chucked to myself the other day when I look at the basket at the foot of our futon-bed. (Again a strange mix of our 2 worlds- a folding futon mat on top of a hand built wood frame sitting on plastic storage bins). These 2 blankets really don't "go" together, they may even clash. Nothing screams America as the country decor of Buffalo Plaid. Yet nestled right next to it is this dainty handmade kimono silk lap quilt that declares boldly, "Made in Japan. Love it or leave it.". Yet somehow to me it is a beautiful blend. That is me. That is our life. That is my home. I think the red and black actually compliment each other and it will be hard to know which to grab on a cool autumn evening. They both feel comfortable and cheerful. They both remind me that here, of all places, in this strange mix of worlds, I am right at home.