Something I never did in America but do now is pray about mail. Granted the U.S. postal system has its share of challenges and probably could use some prayer, but at home you often rely on organized systems around you that promise convenience and accuracy. And things all around can be relied upon to keep life moving at the swift, successful pace that we all tend to think we deserve and have grown to expect.
Well, life oversees just isn't like that. And I am sure, much-much more in countries that have economic and political instabilities; again, we have life pretty easy in Japan. But even here, we have our share of challenges with red-tape and bureaucracy, as well as things that just don't make sense to my ever-lingering Western-American brain.
We just started to be able to send small AIR MAIL packages again. WHOO HOO. Just in time for the holidays!! Things were almost at a stand-still with Covid and have just recently started moving forward to some amount of normalcy. So a few days ago I wrote a few Christmas cards to friends and family. And we sent small care packages of Japanese snacks and treats to our kids and grandkids. I probably should have sent them all a few weeks ago since I am hoping for a before-Christmas arrival.
Sending packages with the Japanese Post Office has gotten more complicated with having to create a log in and registering your parcel online. Even though the website is in English, it has been a bit confusing to navigate. But I have figured it out and been able to print the official needed label. I even rode my bike a little further to the main-branch post office rather than the mini-one around the corner where the workers aren't too shy of foreigners trying to send overseas packages and are confident and helpful.
So, now, all that is left to do is pray. Pray these envelopes and packets will safely and quickly be delivered. (We just heard about an Easter card that just arrived being mis-sent to Jamaica or some crazy far-off place.) But even if it takes awhile, we trust that some love tucked in to their mail boxes will bring a little extra love and cheer to our family far away.
