Friday, December 8, 2023

Come by yourself to a quiet place

The silence was soothing as I sat and looked out the window feeling the warmth of the morning sunshine.  Hints of dusty blue mountain silhouettes peaked through the evergreen branches. I sat there soaking in the quiet. No agenda. No timetable. Just being still with my journal and God's Word open before me. I pulled the little electric space heater nearer and reached for the wool blanket. The sun felt like God's presence pouring in and lighting up any dreariness and lifting the heavy loads that threatened to linger. 

I wonder if Jesus enjoyed moments like this when He went away by Himself to a quiet place. And maybe this is this why God, who never gets tired, exemplified a day of rest for us. Whether it is a few days holiday or a sabbath day off, I need time away from my emails and packed full schedule. I need to leave problems and people behind to just sit awhile and clear my head. It is not that I am so important or my ministry role that urgent, but it is all-encompassing with it's needs and requests that over-fill my head and hands. 


I am not good at resting. I love to have things checked off my list and my inbox empty. I like to feel I've accomplished something and that my presence here is worthwhile. I want to be seen as capable and doing a good job. But sometimes my head, and heart, get too full and my gas gauge too low. And I need some quiet time to clear space, to let all I've decided and done process through and my fast-passed-world just to settle.  

It's ok to have a life of serving and ministry, but that is not what defines me. And quiet rest time reminds me of that. I am weak and dispensable, things aren't centered around me or going well because of me. When I sit quite long enough that reality resurfaces. In the stillness, my head empties of the clutter and makes space for Truth and Promises. Words of who I am and Who I belong to. Saving Grace that washes  away all that is hurried and hassled, makes paths for restful, soothing peace to flow freely.