Wednesday, July 25, 2018

no place like home

I am longing for home. To be settled in our new apartment, with our own comfy furniture, my own cooking utensils, things around me that are familiar and cozy.  I have realized again recently that I am a person who loves to be in my own place, situated and established. I love to be home.


We have been very fortunate that all the times we have moved we, or our teammates, have found a place to rent before we have arrived, thus allowing us to move right in. This was especially helpful with the kids, helping them settle as quickly as possible.

This time our return from home assignment has been different. We have been staying at the OMF Guest House apartment for almost 2 months now. Today, as we talked to the realtor, we realistically thought about how long it will take to get the contract processed and for the owners to clean or renovate the apartment. All this running into one of biggest Japanese holidays where offices are closed and work stops completely for days, even weeks. We disappointingly realized we probably won't move in until the end of August.

Even though our daily prayer has been, "Lord, speed up this process. Let us move in soon.", God seems to be have other things in store. One of which seems to be lessons of patience and contentment for our hearts that wish for instant comfort and ease.

These longings for home have reminded me of what I really should be really longing for.

Heaven.  

Just as I hope each week that the realtor will call with good news that it won't take as long as  expected, I should hope that maybe today or even this week Jesus will return and take me home to heaven.

What an unexpected surprise and fulfillment of what I am truly longing for.  Rather than hoping for the comfort of my worldly home, I should be wistfully yearning for settling into my heavenly home. Only there will I be truly satisfied. Only there will I forever feel at home.