I hate moving. No matter how organized we are, how much we downsize or how much we pre-pack weeks before. I HATE moving.
I hate throwing away half-used condiments. I hate loosing stuff, as well as my mind. I hate trying to fit too much in my suitcase. And fitting too much in our attic. I hate wasting stuff you weren't strategic enough to use up. I hate staring at a piece of paper wondering if I will need access to it in the next 4 years.
I love things organized and it their proper space. I love a nice cup for my tea. I love sitting down to relax in the evening to a rug beneath my feet and pictures walled around me. All of which goes out the door as soon as packing for a move begins.
In the midst of boxes half packed and piles of sheets and blankets waiting to be washed, I plop down and start singing (a little too loudly and very off key) "I hate moving, I hate moving." Well, it might be emotional healthy to express my frustration aloud, but it doesn't help my Heart-Song.
As I look over to a garbage bag of pantry items on the floor, God's Word catches my eye.
A verse from Hebrews written months ago is what I need to hear today. "Am I honoring God in the midst of yet another move?" Sure, I am uncomfortable, irritable, tired and stressed. But Am I committed to honoring Him in every way? In the midst of my least favorite time in life, couldn't I still honor God with a heart attitude of dependence and endurance? Filled full of His patience, wisdom and grace?
Convicted and changed, I pick up my paper cup of now-cooled-tea and head back to the kitchen to pack a cardboard box of dishes. But this time with a familiar worship song humming in my head, "Let my Life Song Sing to You". Even in the midst of the mess and stress of moving, I desire to honor God with a song.


