One of the blessings of being a missionary is the purposefulness to our life. We live each day because we are called. To a place. To a people. To His purposes. We don't have to think how to fit in ministry and service in to our personal life because it's already expected....and already crammed full. It's our 9-5...and our 5-9. It's not a job, but a lifestyle. It's all consuming and all demanding. It's thrilling and adventurous to be on the front lines. It's meaningful and rewarding. It's also scary and uncertain. And it's downright exhausting.
We live under continued and constant culture stress. Living in a different culture we offend others easily and can't figure out the right thing to do. We are always learning. Even simple things like how to talk and what to do and not do. We are humbled by doing the wrong thing in the wrong way and saying the wrong thing at the wrong time. It can be discouraging.
We live under the pressure and mindset that if we don't do it, no one will. And there will possibly be eternal consequences because of my lack of concern, willingness or capability. There is a heaviness that lingers knowing souls around me are perishing daily. And no matter what I do or say, no matter how hard I pray, still more hearts that I have know and love might be separated from Christ forever. We live in sadness and seriousness that the millions that pass us by have no way to hear. The task is too big for me.
We live in a battle. A spiritual battle. The enemy's stronghold is tight. He wants to keep his darkness veiling the beautiful, but blind almond-shaped eyes I look into. The evil one wants hearts to stay unresponsive and empty. Sometimes we feel the darkness closing in, almost suffocating us. We can't quit grasp it or explain it, but it is there. We know that the god of this world wants to snuff out the light, our light. The light that sometimes barley flickers.
That is why we need time off. Time away. A day off each week. Several weeks off a year. And a year away each 4 year term. We need to get re-charged. We need to do self-care so we can do others-care. We need to get perspective and renewed vision. We need to spend time collapsed on our knees pouring burdens out to Jesus. To realise that what God is doing isn't centered around me, isn't dependant on me. We need sleep and lazy, frivolous time to just be and not do. We need times to laugh and forget. Hours just escaping and rejuvenating. We need God's Word filling our empty, cracked vessel. We need friends to come along side us and just be. Be present, be listening, be understanding. We need supporter-networks who realise we are just normal people living a strange life in between 2 worlds. We need prayer warriors who will uphold us when we are broken and spent. We need wrestlers for breakthrough, fighting the enemy with petitions and prayers. We need the Mighty Hand of God to empower and daily redeem. The sovereign Lord to comfort and protect. The Spirit of God to bring salvation to those around us.
So in light of that....and in light of not having a full day off in 2 weeks. I will make myself a pot of tea and my favorite muffins. I will get lost in a magazine and escape into Pinterest. I will ignore my overflowing in box and will go out for lunch with Tim and laugh with the kids at "I Love Lucy". I will catch up on my Bible reading and let God speak life to my soul and body. I will listen to music and stare out the window. I will get to bed early and wake up to face another day. To face another battle. But now I've remembered that it is His battle. And He promises to be victorious.
