Monday, October 12, 2015

A taste of Home


As I've shared before, I always get extra homesick in the autumn. 
You will find me ushering in cooler weather with pops of orange all around my home.
I got this orange mug and these decorative leaves from the 100 Yen Store where else. 

 I savor every crisp apple and put on cozy socks sipping something hot
with the anticipations of the holidays ahead.

And nothing tastes like the holidays like my mom's homemade carmel corn.  I actually saw some on sale at the grocery store, but knew homemade would taste better....and be cheaper. Although butter this last year can be hard to come by and its worth it's weight in gold for how much Yen I pay. Well, it's worth the splurge.

My mom and sister can make this recipe blind-folded and are well known pros who often give it as gifts (hey, it's light if you are mailing it). But I don't think there will be enough to share this time around as I ate too many handfuls when it was warm and gooey. Oh yum! Better go running tomorrow.

Carmel Corn

Several batches of popped popcorn 
(I made mine on the stove which took me awhile as I either burned it or had lots of kernels left over. I haven't quite mastered that art yet. I filled 2 deep 9x13 inch disposable - but I wash mine and use them over and over - tinfoil pans with popped popcorn.)
For Carmel Sauce, melt in a medium pan:
1 cup Butter (about 200 grams/2 sticks/1/2 lb.)
2 cups of Packed Brown Sugar
1/2 cup of Corn Syrup (yes, hauled in my suitcase from home)
Barely bring to a boil and then let it gently bubble for 4-5 minutes stirring constantly. (Careful. I've burned my hand and my sauce.)
Turn off heat and add:
1 teaspoon Vanilla
just under 1 teaspoon Salt
just under 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
(The original recipe asks for 1 teaspoon, but mine tends to be a little too salty.)
Stir carmel sauce. Pour sugar mixture over popcorn. Stir to coat.
Bake 250 F (about 110 C) (double check your oven temp as I've burned it before...sniff sniff).  Check and stir every 10 minutes or so to re-coat the sugar mixture onto the popcorn from the bottom of the pan.
Bake 30-40 minutes depending on your oven. It will still be a little soft, but will harden all the way as it cools. Stir to break it up more if needed. Definitely snack on some while warm. When cooled, store in airtight container. Enjoy.