As I have shared before, my yearly New Year's resolution is always to be in God's Word daily...and only a few days go by in each new year when I have forgotten, pushed aside or squeezed out my time with my Jesus. Doesn't my heart know that it can't fully beat and function if 24 hours goes by without soaking my mind in His life-giving promises? Oh, when will I learn?
But since we are covered by His grace and His mercies are new each morning, we continue to strive to know Him more and spend time reading the Word He wishes to speak to us. Extra time on home assignment means extra time in our devotions, making studying a priority. Not just studying Japanese or missional methods or church planting concepts, but studying the Bible. Not just to share, explain, preach or translate; but to let it sink deep into our very own hearts and souls. A well-spring that needs to be overflowing so that we can draw from it in the dry, dusty, discouraging days we know will come.
While studying recently, I came across a new life verse...at least one to cling to this coming new year; words of purpose and focus.
"But I do not consider my life of any account as dear to myself,
so that I may finish my course and the ministry which I have been given from the Lord Jesus,
to testify solemnly of the gospel of the grace of God "
Acts 20:24
We also seek to get our kids and keep our kids in God's Word. I was challenged about a year ago by a well-known author who said her goal was that every time her family sat down at the table they would read the Bible. I loved that. And we really tried for that....at least in the evening when all, or most of us, would be sitting down together for dinner. I watered it down a little and said that a day wouldn't go by without my kids hearing us share God's Word. Well, many days went by and still go by, where we miss but we continue to strive to keep God's Word central and to proclaim it in our home. Granted many late evenings have found me standing in the hallway with a flashlight outside my boy's bedrooms reading some verses for those teenage hearts to fall asleep to. We consistently have to choose to be intentional about getting God's Word before our eyes, on our ears and in our hearts.
We've loved reading "The Story" together as a family this year; a challenge from our home church here in CA to read this chronological narrative; excerpts directly from the Bible broken into 31 chapters with short italic notes to bridge and explain. Since we hadn't been reading our chapter a week, we found ourselves behind, but caught up over Christmas break. Reading a weeks worth in one night took time, but I loved that hour spent together many evenings as we took turns reading aloud. I will remember and cherish those times together.



