I am the first to agree with and strive for a simple, stress-free Christmas; focused on meaning and giving, not on stuff and getting. I don't know about you, but I quickly loose my focus and forget. I fall into the trap of wanting. Wanting nicer, better. Wanting what others have. Wanting what God hasn't blessed me with.
This Christmas I have struggled to be content with our artificial tree, I know it's beautiful, really. Hey, at least we have a tree...and pretty lights...and ornaments. But, I so wanted a real tree this year for some reason; fresh cut to last weeks, smelling woodsy and wonderful. Oh, not again. Sorry Lord. You have found me questioning and complaining. Looking around me for more blessings, when I have more blessings than so many around me.
As Christmas continues I stop to think. I crunch on a treasured candy canes, a rare treat living so far away. I listen to holiday music, transported to nostalgic childhood days. I soak up the warmth of glowing candle lights. In these few quiet moments God meets me. He reminds my often-wayward-heart to not focus on what I see, but on what I don't see.
"Choose Thanks!" He says. "Count Blessings! Remember Me! Focus on all that I have given you. All the beauty surrounding you points to the real, lasting blessing of Me. That's what you long for. That's all you need on that "Wish List" of yours. A gloriously big Creator wrapped in a weak, created baby. God with you, Emmanuel. Christmas is Me."


