Monday, October 29, 2012

A taste of home

 I confess.  I made these Spritz cookies glistening with orange sugar sprinkles JUST to enjoy looking at them in my new cookie jar.  Kind of pathetic I know.  But they did look festive and tasted great too. 

 

As I've shared here before, fall is my favorite season.  It's also the time each year when I feel the most homesick. So I admit I probably go a bit overboard with autumn decorations and baking; it somehow helps my heart to fill our home-away-from-home with the sights and smells that nostalgically remind me of autumn in America.

Pumpkin muffins are another staple once the air is cooler and the days shorter.  Since it is hard to come by canned pumpkin, I use the green winter squash abundant in Japan to make these muffins.  I just use my Betty Crocker Recipe and add chocolate chips and pumpkin seeds sprinkled on top.  These have become a seasonal family favorite.


Another treat for me this time of year is reading magazines.  Flipping through seasonal pages are an escape, a transportation to American places far across the sea.  I have subscribed to the magazine Country Living for years.  I used to have it sent to my sister, who would send a bundle of them to me via surface mail.  Now, I pay a little extra for the international shipping and it appears right at my door.  Only a missionary knows how rare it is to have a copy of a current magazine.  Each issue gets lovingly passed around to several friends.  The next time you plan on sending your missionary friend a care-package,  check with them if they'd like you to tuck in a favorite magazine, even one you might have  on your coffee table.  Recently since we live near the boy's school, I have the opportunity to check out this month's edition of a number of periodicals available.  This may seem like an ordinary thing,  but for many of us living overseas it's a real blessing.