Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Happy Anniversary to us!


20 years ago today we said, "I do"

So thankful and blessed to have a loving, Godly husband
a great partner in ministry and a great partner in life

The last few years instead of Tim buying me cut flowers, we have bought a plant together for our home's garden. Last year it was a rose bush that sits in my sun room. The year before that, we planted lavender in our yard in the US. This year we chose a lemon tree. Mmmm, I can already smell the tangy goodness of California.
We've had fun dreaming about a dream vacation to Okinawa to celebrate our 20th anniversary. Granted we don't understand most of what the Japanese pamphlets says, but the pictures sure look beautiful. We aren't sure when we will go since it is hard to find time when we'll have clear weather as well as a clear calendar.
Actually we would be happy to get away anywhere there is some sand and sea. We love the beach so much that I recently re-decorated our bedroom with this favorite theme.
I drew the warm, cheery colors from a hand-me-down mini quilt at the foot of our bed. I've had fun searching for beach/retro/nostalgic fabric to cover old throw pillows.
Maybe I shouldn't mention to you that the dresser in our bedroom came off the garbage pile 16 years ago in Northern Japan...I bet you would have never guessed though...shhh, don't tell anyone.
Our bed is actually a simple flat wood frame that Tim built layered on plastic drawers, then layered with a comfy futon mat and then memory-foam. This can easily be taken apart and stored when we are on home assignment in the US. It also serves as a great hidden storage spot for winter clothes, blankets, etc.
Since it's hard to find beach theme decorations here in Japan, I made them.
It was fast and easy to hot glue treasured shells and sand dollars we've collected to an old picture frame. I also made a make-shift sign with an old wood sign I had. I flipped it to the blank backside and wrote on it with chalk.
I thought it was fun to collect maps of beaches we have visited, so I ripped and burned the edges for an old-fashioned effect. I slid the map pages under a thin plastic table cloth that covers a card table that acts as a desk near our bed. I also hot-glued ribbons around an old basket to up-date it a little. Voila! A beach get-away for the couple looking forward to a beach get-away!