Thursday, July 7, 2011

Monkey Bread

Sorry for 2 "girly posts" as I call them, you know...decorating and food...but I thought I'd share about Monkey Bread, since it isn't so well known, at least outside of the U.S, so I've been told. It is our new favorite breakfast treat, even passing up our beloved cinnamon rolls which garnish our table at festive holidays and birthdays. It is a bit of a sugar fix, but it was cool enough to run yesterday morning and cool enough this morning to turn on the oven.
In America I always used the refrigerated biscuits/bread rolls (who wouldn't?) but since those aren't sold here in Japan I though I'd try with homemade dough. Yum, a huge difference. I just used a "Dinner Roll" white bread dough recipe (1 1/2 pound) that I made in my bread maker. Then I followed the recipe I found on line HERE more or less.

My someday-famous-chef-who-loves to-cook-son and I made mini balls with the dough and rolled them in a mixture of cinnamon sugar (I needed about 1/4 cup white sugar and 1 Tablespoon cinnamon). Then, I gently layered these balls of dough in my greased angel food cake pan (or bunt pan would do too). I let them raise about 15 minutes in a warm place and then poured the hot, gooey glaze which was 1 cup of packed brown sugar and 3/4 cup (150 g.) butter brought to a bubbly boil in a small saucepan. I sprinkled chopped nuts over 4/5's of the top the the Monkey Bread (4 out of the 5 of us opted for crunchy nuts) and then I baked it for about 30 minutes at about 350 F (170 C). I turned it upside down on a plate and served it warm. We did make scrambled eggs with cheese and ham to give us a little protein with this yummy, sweat breakfast treat.