Thursday, June 9, 2011

Quilts in Japan...For Japan


In January my good missionary friend (who taught me to quilt) went with me to the International Tokyo Quilt Show. We rode downtown on the train to the Tokyo Dome which hosted the largest quilt show in the world.
The sheer number of people itself made me tired after just a few hours of walking around (and my friend said it wasn't crowded in comparison to other times). Viewing beautiful handmade quilts was inspiring and a little intimidating. I kept thinking these ladies are quilters...I just quilt. There is a difference.
Almost all Japanese piece and quilt by hand. I like to do my piecing by machine (it's so fast) and then quilt by hand. There is nothing like curling up under a cozy quilt I am working on in the winter while the boys are doing homework or our family is watching TV. Now that it is getting warmer I'd like to get some smaller (and lighter) projects going like table runners. I love this outlet-escape that lets me creat-be creative.
I was so excited to hear about Quilts for Japan. Please take a minute to check out their websight. These women are making and collecting handmade quilts to give to the Japanese victims of the March 11 earthquake, tsunami and nuclear power plant disasters. CRASH Japan (where I volunteer) is helping to pass out these love-filled gifts to needy families that are relocating.