Wednesday, September 29, 2010

the Scatterer

As I walked out of the train station, an Asian girl warmly smiled at me. Her big, black Bible inscribed with gold letters held close to her caught my eye. I stopped and asked if she was a Christian, motioning to her Bible. She introduced herself and we talked just a minute about where we lived and how long we've been in Japan. As she affectionately addressed me in her broken English as "Sister Susan" she gave me a tract and we parted ways heading opposite directions. This has never happened to me. I have never received a Gospel tract with a clear salvation message and Scripture verses in all our years of living in Japan.

The first thing I did was check the back of the tract to make sure it wasn't Later Day Saints or Jehovah Witness. You might be surprised that we see quite a few of these here in Japan. You can pin-point Mormons on their bikes wearing white shirts and ties; usually a white faced foreigner and a Japanese labeled with name tags and helmets, always helmets. The JW's also go around in two's and look very proper in their 1950's style hats and gloves as they pass out their Watch Tower pamphlets door to door. Interestingly, the Japanese are rather suspicious of both of these groups. When we share with someone that we are Christians, we quickly clarify that we aren't Jehovah Witnesses or Mormon.

I was challenged that day by my new friend, a Filipino women married to a Japanese and attending a Pentecostal church in Tokyo. Her warmth and friendliness drew me in. Her eagerness to make sure I walked away with a little piece of paper that explained the clear message of the Gospel challenged me. Her easy manner and genuine care made a deep impression.

Even though I wear the label of "missionary" I still find it hard to be bold and forward enough to start a conversation with a stranger or even just hand them a tract. My wonderful husband on the other hand amazes me...or rather God amazes me through him. He has the unmistakable gift of evangelism. Any time non-Christians come onto his radar I see him tune in, looking for a natural way to connect to them. His heart beats for those who have never heard. He can talk easily with people on the train and can share even just a hint of God in his life within a few minutes of conversation with a complete stranger. And the person leaves smiling and blessed, never offended or taken aback.

The Lord is challenging me though. It has been a long process but I think God turned up the intensity last year when I read "The One Thing You Can't do in Heaven". One of the many things I learned in this book was the power of handing out a tract. This is something anyone, even someone like me, can do.
As I read the parable of the 4 soils in Mark recently, God reminded me that I am the farmer. And my simple job is to scatter seeds...and lots of them. It is His job to help that seed take root and it is His responsibility whether fruit comes from my labor or not. I just faithfully scatter.
My tract bearing "angel" challenged me that day...or rather God challenged me through her. He is always working on me, little by little, easing me out of my comfort zone and arming me with boldness and confidence. After all, He is the one who sent me here and He is the one whose work it is. Thankfully He also is the one who will accomplish it, one little seed at a time.