Monday, May 10, 2010

I have been missing my mom and dad lately. I miss chatting with them on the cell phone everyday...for free. I miss visitng with my mom over Chai tea as we tried out a new coffee shop. I miss gleaning insights from my dad about God's Word or weathering the ups and downs of ministry life.

Being missionaries themselves, my parents understand about our crazy life of transitions. They have a heart for and are involved in what God is doing globally to bring people to Himself. Desiring to be faithful to the end, they are eager to serve God throughout their grey-haired days.
One of the hardest things about missionary life is being away from family. I read with teary eyes my virtual friend's heart who is far off in Paraguay missing her mom (click HERE to visit her great blog). She shared about letting herself "grieve" the losses she faces as a missionary.

One of the things I grieve as a missionary is that my parents can't be more involved in our kid's daily lives; to cheer them on at their basketball game, see that they've grown so tall or hear them tell a funny story that happened at school. I so want my boys to feel close and connected to their grandparents and all our dear family living across the ocean.
I was just praying about this the other day and the Lord reminded me gently again that He offers me His comfort as I offer this loss up to Him.