Tim and I tackled packing 5 bins of accumlated clothes, shoes, books, dvds, cds, etc. Our family of 5 gets 10 pieces of checked luggage that we can take on the plane. See past blog posts about how we buy clothes and shoes (cheaper and bigger than we can find in Japan) and pack to take back with us. Tim is great at tightly packing things in and utilizing the space well. 
We have also been going through our clothes. I have a hard time deciding what to take since we only have so much (or really so little) that we can take. I don't want to waste space in our suitcase on holy jeans and stained t-shirts that are almost too small. We probably have less clothes in our closet than most people but that helps keep me sane. It's a big job keeping our kid's clothes organized and then outfitting them with their favorite American jeans and big basketball shoes for the next few years in Japan.